Kay Mason Foundation

Kay Mason Foundation, In the UK and South Africa

KMF GoalsPDFPrintE-mail

The KMF makes partnerships with motivated kids and parents who lack the funds to send their children to the country's best schools. We treat each of the scholar

s we support as an individual, and every KMF package is unique. Our goal is to spend our resources as wisely as possible. We regularly visit our scholars at home, monitor their family's changing situations, and adjust our level of support.

The KMF Patron, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, speaks of individuals changing the world. The KMF aims to find those individuals, and give them the skills and the confidence they need to make a difference.


One of the great things about this charity, is that you can keep up to date on the stories of some of the children that charity have helped. For example, Kim Nduna:


My Name is Kim Zanele Nduna. I am 15 years old and currently in grade 10 at St Cyprian's school.

I am in the boarding house there and I find it very easy to be in the boarding house. In grade 1 I was a day girl and I used travel for one and a half hours in the morning to get to school.

Being in the boarding house makes me do more activities and I get to do more homework than I used to.

I like to think of myself as an open minded person, who is Cool and very hyper. Some people think of me as a very talkative person, who laughs a lot and someone who's not scared of anything except for animals.

I have grown to be mature since grade 8. Grade 8 and 9 were very tough years and I was still trying to fit in. I'm enjoying school at the moment. I have got exams coming up, which is not exciting. Otherwise, I have found school very interesting with all the things we're learning at the moment.

The thing I enjoy about school is learning all these different things, especially in geography.

Grade 10 is a tough year, but I'm getting there. My school subjects are English, Afrikaans, German, Mathematics, business economics and geography.

With these subjects I find my subjects very challenging but life is all about taking those certain challenges.

Through my years I have met my best friends called Sara and Claire. In grade 10 we all have to do 20 hours of community service.

I am doing Sarah Fox Convalescent Hospital and Maitland Cottage Hospital. Sarah Fox is a hospital for children who are sick and burnt and Maitland is a hospital for children with broken legs and whose legs are skew which have been fixed. Some people work with dogs during weekends and some go to old age homes and read books to them.

I am on the Girl Child in Africa committee, which deals with how we can raise money for the school to support girl children in South Africa. I am in the school choir and the Chamber choir. I like the chamber choir more, because we sing nice jazz songs, not that I don't like big choir, it's just that in chamber choir we sing nice jazz songs and in the big choir the songs are very slow. Other than that everything is good.

WHO AM I?

Hi, my name is Kim Zanele Nduna and I am 12 years old. I was born on the 23 of April 1990 at the Paarl General Hospital. My mother told me that when I was born, it was cold and she was so nervous about my birth, she cried for like two hours.

I have a mother, three brothers and two sisters. I know you guys must be wondering why I didn’t put my father in; no he died when I was in Standard 1 and that left us with financial problems. It was so hurtful because he used to buy me everything that I wanted, unlike my mum; she always says that she doesn’t have any money like now I understand why she said she didn’t have any money: it’s because I participated in everything at my old school. My mother told me I don’t have to play every sport there at my school, like every afternoon. After school, we often play a sport but then I need money for the taxi to go home and because my mum doesn’t have any money, I don’t play the sport.

I love the colour red because our house has red face bricks and inside our house we have painted it red. I love to wear red tops and skirts.

My favourite sports are basketball, softball and netball. I started basketball when I was 10 in Grade 5 and I became vice-captain. I played softball in Grade 7 and I’ve played netball every Saturday (and we won all the matches!)

My vision

My biggest ambition is to become a doctor because of two major reasons. The first and most hurtful one is that for 2 years of my life, I had to watch my late dearest father suffering from Stroke disease and I couldn’t help. The second one is that I want to search for a cure to help HIV/AIDS people because this virus has no mercy and it kills both young and old.

No comments:

Post a Comment