Nadav Kander

"I was drawn to found pictures - pictures where there was a subject that I realized needed me to formalize and compose to make a picture. I was not drawn to the full creation, to the idea of starting off with nothing. I was rather drawn to a landscape or subjects where you intervene to make the picture satisfying yourself."

"I have never been that interested in commenting, in documentary. It has always been about the satisfaction I get from a composition, a line, an amount of space, a feeling, an atmosphere, a response to a picture. I am still about that today. I've always admired art that tells me more about the artist's opinion and state of mind shown to me through the subject matter."

"I am wary of seeing too much, looking at too much other imagery. It is dangerous for my personality - all this imagery we could look at all the time if we let ourselves. When I started, I had about six or seven books and no internet. The books were, I think, ones on Atget and Edward Weston, along with the Encyclopedia Britannica and one or two others. I could look at the work carefully, and slowly decide what it was, be aware of how I was informed. Today there is so much."








No comments:

Post a Comment